Tuesday, January 12

What's In Your Trash?


We've all seen the ever present Capital One commercials with their famous "what's in your wallet?" catch-line. Some are cute, most are just annoying, but while sketching in front of the TV one evening, it sparked a commentary twist.

I wanted to create something for the Holidays and tie in a New Year's resolution for this particular post, so I began thinking about what I may want to change for the upcoming year. I want to spend more time with my family (points from my wife and daughter), attend at least three Officer training/strategy classes (points from my Crew), get in better shape.... ah, yes, that's the one!! Except for a small percentage of those firehouse gym-rats who can claim near Adonis-like physiques, better fitness is something we can all strive for and will most likely set as a goal for 2010. Now, I work out, I'm a novice runner and cyclist, and a damn good tennis player - unfortunately, I'm also a late-night, junk-food junkie. Embarrassing to admit, but I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm not alone here.

So, I had my topic, it was just a matter of finding a way to get my point across in an effective, yet entertaining way. Enter our two little scourging friends. It would have been too easy just to have a couple of firefighters discussing nutrition. I wanted the humor to come from an outside voice, and it works perfectly with the raccoons possessing a wisdom about a subject we take for granted. The very thought of the raccoon being repulsed about our eating habits, a creature that will eat anything, is funny to me - and, I hope, an effective tool to make you re-think what is in your refrigerator, cupboards, and of course - what's in your trash!

Let's all make better nutrition and fitness a goal for 2010!

No comments: